Mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
Work to develop the three key characteristics of mindfulness:
- Intention to cultivate awareness (and return to it again and again)
- Attention to what is occurring in the present moment (simply observing thoughts, feelings, sensations as they arise)
- Attitude that is non-judgmental, curious, and kind.
Self-care describes a conscious act one takes in order to promote their own physical, mental, and emotional health
The 8 areas of Self-Care
- Physical Self-care. Involves movement of the body, health, nutrition, sleep, rest, physical touch and sexual needs.
- Psychological Self-Care
- Emotional Self Care
- Professional Self Care
- Social Self Care
- Environmental Self Care
- Spiritual Self Care
- Financial Self Care
- Develop a regular sleep routine.
- Aim for a healthy diet.
- Take lunch breaks.
- Go for a walk at lunchtime.
- Take your dog for a walk after work.
- Use your sick leave.
- Get some exercise before/after work regularly.
- Develop friendships that are supportive.
- Write three good things that you did each day.
- Play a sport and have a coffee together after training.
- Go to the movies or do something else you enjoy.
- Keep meeting with your parents' group or other social group.